- [09/15/2020] In collaboration with lots of great people, Damon Bayer, Isaac Goldstein (UCI Statisitcs PhD students), and I created two COVID-19 online resources:
and released a methodological paper with a retrospective analysis of Orange County COVID-19 surveilance data as a pre-print:
- [01/16/2021] Catalina Medina and I collaborated with Daniel Parker and other talented people on analyzing Orange County, CA COVID-19 surveillance data
- COVID-19 Trends by UC Irvine
Media coverage: LA Times, LA Times/Daily Pilot, CBS Los Angeles, OC Register, OC Business Journal, UCI News
- Orange County, CA COVID-19 Situation Report
Media coverage: OC Business Journal, KUCI Radio, UCI News
- [01/15/2020] New work with Jon Fintzi and Jon Wakefield:
A linear noise approximation for stochastic epidemic models fit to partially observed incidence counts. Jon Fintzi won 2020 ASA Section on Statistics in Epidemiology Norman Breslow Prize for this work!
- [11/25/2019] Andy Magee, Sebastian Höhna, Tetyana I. Vasylyeva, Adam D. Leaché, and I developed Markov random field priors for birth-death processes.
- [03/28/2019] Michael Karcher, Marc Suchard, Gytis Dudas and I have a sequel to our preferential sampling model/paper:
Estimating effective population size changes from preferentially sampled genetic sequences.
Now implemented in BEAST and with ability to include time-varying covariates.
- [03/05/2019] Jon Fintzi, Luis Lomeli, Jon Wakefield, and I wrote a discussion of Bayesian Analysis paper "Dynamic Bayesian Influenza Forecasting in the United States with Hierarchical Discrepancy"
- [02/24/2019] Mingwei Tang, Gytis Dudas, Trevor Bedford, and I have a new preprint on
fitting stochastic epidemic models to genealogies/phylogenies.
This paper received ASA Section on Bayesian Statistical Science student paper award.
- [08/14/2018] Jim Faulkner,
and I put together a new Bayesian nonparametric model for reconstructing population size dynamics.
Beth Shapiro helped us analyze her cool bison data.
- [02/20/2018] Amrit Dhar,
Erick Matsen, and I developed a
CSI-style enhance button for B cell amino acid profiles.
- [02/02/2018] Theo Kypraios and I co-edited a Statistical Science special section on infectious diseases.
- [07/01/2017] After ten wonderful years at the University of Washington, I am moving to UC Irvine this summer.
Very excited about my next academic adventure!
- [11/17/2017] Another new work on B cells, this time focusing on the somatic hypermutation,
with Jean Feng,
Noah Simon, and
- [08/30/2017] New work with Will DeWitt,
Erick Matsen, and other
talented people on reconstructing B cell phylogenies.
- [07/03/2017] Jason Xu and I were lucky to be able to help
Paredez lab with statistical analysis in their work on
Giardia, an important, but still in many ways mysterious protozoan parasite.
- [10/26/2016] Two new papers on arxiv:
- [09/26/2016] New work with Amrit Dhar:
Calculating higher-order moments of phylogenetic stochastic mapping summaries in linear time.
- [08/01/2016] Jason Xu defended his dissertation and started his
NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- [07/18/2016] Jon Fintzi won the first place in the oral category of the 2016 WNAR Student Paper Competition.
The competition took place during the XXVIIIth Internation Biometric Conference, where Jon presented the paper Efficient data augmentation for fitting stochastic epidemic models to prevalence data.
- [06/29/2016] New work with Jon Fintzi and Jon Wakefield:
Efficient data augmentation for fitting stochastic epidemic models to prevalence data.
- [03/11/2016] New work with Lam Ho,
Forrest Crawford, and
Birth(death)/birth-death processes and their computable transition probabilities with statistical applications.
- [12/21/2015] New work with QERM Ph.D. student Jim Faulkner: Bayesian trend filtering: adaptive temporal smoothing with shrinkage priors.
- [01/15/2016] Jason Xu, Statistics Ph.D. student working with me,
is awarded NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship.
His mentor with be Dr. Kenneth Lange at UCLA.
Last modified: September, 2021